9/05/2012

New Adventures

Last weekend I participated in a road race (Midnight Run Helsinki, 9.000 runners) which started late in the evening. Around this time of year it's completely dark outside already at 21 PM and during that time Helsinki provided the saddest conditions: cool, windy and extremely rainy weather. 

At the start legs felt much better than they did during the whole week after the adventure race. I started by following the leaders but realized soon after that I don't have the guts to push the pace in the dark on the slippery streets. After almost breaking my ankle I decided to cool off. My body did this only couple kms after this decision. Still, I'm pretty happy with the result.

Next morning I joined a different breed of endurance athletes with my good friends and Trek. The event, Tour de Helsinki, was a 140 km bike ride around the capital area. It was extremely nice, easy and scary experience. I saw way too many crashes and piles of bloody cyclists so I was pretty happy with hitting the finishing line in one piece. After the restricted pace (first 11 km 2.500 cyclists were following the pace of the leading car) I was able to ride at 36.5 kmh pace which was better than I expected.

Now I'm sitting in our temporary home in Columbia, MD. Feeling tired and happy.

No comments: