12/31/2010

Year 2010 in review

  • Running 1260 miles
  • Biking 1607 miles
  • XC skiing 111 miles
  • Numerous core workouts
  • Disturbing amount of eccentric workouts
  • One baby boy
I ran only one miserable race in April. It had bad news written all over it since I felt totally tired due my parents uncertain issues because of dad's illness. The low energy level was present the entire Spring season. Running sucked many times and I felt sometimes way too unmotivated to do anything else. But back to the race which was was a 6.2 miler (36:23) on road. Believe me, running that race felt even worse than the result indicates. After that I was ready for stop running on that day. But luckily Carlos (et al.) from HCS was going to visit us so I had to keep on running in order to show him around Turku.

Less than a week after they left the country I sprained my left glute and hamstring muscles and I had to take 5 weeks off. Thereafter, the butt/hamstring problems continued AND my left achilles began hurting even more because of the time off.

Since not being able to run and still considering myself to be some sort of athlete, I accompanied myself with Trek and started biking solo and sometimes with local triathletes. Of course with low levels of patience I found myself biking a 90 miler only 4 days after Trek was assembled. Road biking was actually way more fun than I expect before and that's why I sort of got addicted to it. June, July and August went by and achilles was already hurting while sitting, sleeping and standing up. I couldn't anymore walk without pain which was the last straw. Achilles was operated in September and only last week I had an extremely nice run without pain. So I'm really for new adventures but only after achilles is totally recovered.

In addition to the more or less painless achilles, I have to add one more positive result for this year: I have gained 10 extra pounds. Unfortunately, I think that I'll get rid of it soon.

I'm really happy to leave this year's athletic achievements behind and find out what's up in MMXI!!!

Happy New Year!

No comments: