7/27/2009

More and less

Couple years (21 years actually) between now and the last time when I biked more seriously makes it quite obvious that I have to learn fast. Yesterday's bike ride (with couple of hill sprints) and NO stretching didn't ease my way this morning. Damn! So next time I should not let myself enjoy the easy Sunday evening without stretching at the same time...

Today's culmination of sissyness was an easy 6-miler with 5x100m + stretching. In the evening I won't run so I'll have some time for core workout.

The World Masters Athletics Championships will begin tomorrow in Lahti, Finland. Last Summer I set a goal for running a XC race or marathon there, but after few setbacks I changed the plan. After my xxxx performance in Boston I should withdraw from marathon for good. So I will enjoy this event online from the US. It's better for us all.

Similarly, there is no chance that I'd be able to compete in the Finnish Nationals this year. They are on the next weekend AND I'm not even close to be qualified. Honestly, my chances to race there are pretty low nowadays and they are not increasing. In general, the best thing is that the number of registered/qualified distance runners has increased considerably from previous years. That is brilliant.

Last time I did manage to qualify for the Nationals was in year 2001. I started the 10000m final in a fever (w/ a temperature 102.5 F) and had to drop out at the 3000m mark. I thought that I was going to die right there on the track. As of now, I'm quite sure that starting that race has been my worst decision ever. So my friends and rivals, respect your health! On the other hand, I met my wife after that race, so that isn't so bad day after all. And luckily, there are plenty of other races available...

No comments: